Monday, March 15, 2010

Wrestling With God...


There has been a lot of talk about what it looks like to wrestle and press into God. Jacob/Israel is the best example of this one on one death match over the top rope battle. It is strange to me that God encourages me to challenge his promises and his justice found in the bible. You see that in Genesis, I think 18 with the Abraham vs. God verbal match , you also see it in Genesis 32, and with Moses after that. There is something about it (the act of wrestling)that draws God closer to us or is it that we are being closer to God. All I know is that there is some closeness that takes place. It is almost like some twenty something college bro roommates going at it in their dorm to claim brute dominance. (I didn't wrestle.)

So where do I go with this? Well first off I don't know fully. It is definately something that I want to get better at and think about more. Though I look at the shit that goes on in the city of Long Beach (ie gang violence, drug use, domestic/child abuse, the individualism, and utter fear that fills our streets, and I want to challenge God, not because I know/ think I can win. That is not the point. The main issue is that I want to be become more and more disgusted and fed up with what is going on in Long Beach, with the Exodus 3 kind of cry to God to do something about it. Instead of crying out to bless Israel, I long for God to bless the church, in order for us to bless the city and the world. Bless me... Bless me Lord, so that I can bless others. May God grant us the grace to care more about people and this world more than we could have ever imagined. We have work to do... and that is okay if we are willing to work to bring a piece of heaven to earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment